Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

I feel like I ought to post something on Halloween, seeing as how it is October 31 and all. I know many blogs are posting on Reformation Day, and that is certainly valuable. You can see an excellent blog entry from Dr. George Grant here on the subject. However, a few years ago I ran across an article written by James Jordan on Halloween. I enjoyed it, but have never really taken the time to check out the argument. Nevertheless, I submit it for perusal by any who care to confirm or refute it.You can find a copy of it here.
More recently I have found a similar interpretation of Halloween by Doug Wilson. I also enjoyed it and think it has a lot of very pastoral and informative suggestions, which is why it was written in the first place. His take on "Satan's holiday" can be found here.
We dressed the kids up for a couple of outings this year, nothing scary (per Wilson's remarks) and let them get candy and such. We even carved a Jack O' Lantern for our church Fall festival. We have relaxed our approach to the evils and dangers of Halloween a little this year. It reminds me of something I once heard Dr. Grant say, and have heard repeated by many since. Every new Calvinist should be locked up for five years and then allowed to speak. In the time since I first came to the Reformed faith, I have loosened the net on what Scripture requires and what Christian liberty allows. I hope and pray that I have done so in the light of the Gospel and with the sanctifying grace of the Spirit.

No comments: