Friday, July 18, 2008

LibriVox

I have got to do a post about LibriVox. LibriVox is a website where public domain works of literature are being recorded into audio books (in mp3 format) and are distributed freely. I have downloaded and listened to many books this way. Usually there is a link to the Internet Archive ( a scanned text site similar to Google Books) where the text of the book can be found. This is an amazing resource for poetry and other stuff to hear it read aloud. This site is great for students as well.
Another plus to LibriVox is you have a time stamp on how long it takes to actually read a book. I understand that comprehension is different from reading (sometimes) but it at least gives you a starting point. I had a class that read the Autobiography of Ben Franklin this past year. I not only downloaded the book and listened to it as I prepared for class, but also had an idea as to how long it should take them to read the book as a whole.
I use LibriVox a lot and wanted to make a post so others would know more about this service as well. Enjoy.

No comments: