Monday, August 3, 2009

The Green Book

In 1944, C. S. Lewis did a series of essays, lectures I think, that were published as The Abolition of Man. These lectures were a rebuttal of a book for "boys and girls in the upper forms of school." This book, known to Lewis fans as The Green Book because he graciously withheld the identity of the authors and the real title to the book, has been a mystery to me for several years now.
Not anymore. Doing some reading and searching about The Abolition of Man, I came across this web site and discovered the identity of The Green Book and the authors.
I already did an Amazon search and came up empty-handed on used copies. I'll bet there are none to be had. With the scathing review Lewis gave it, I'll bet the publisher did not even renew the copyright. Surely someone could scan the thing into Google Books or Internet Archive or something. I'd love to see some of the passages Lewis talks about in their original context.
Oh, and the actual title of The Green Book is The Control of Language: A Critical Approach to Reading and Writing and it was written by Alex King and Martin Ketley.

3 comments:

Basilides said...

If you conduct a search on Biblio.com and use the author's name Alec King (not Alex) you will find several used copies
I ordered one but there may be some left :-)
~Basilides

Basilides said...

If you conduct a search on Biblio.com and use the author's name Alec King (not Alex) you will find several used copies
I ordered one but there may be some left :-)
~Basilides

Michael Sisk said...

What a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.