Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wishing I could go back to school

I am a student. I have known that about myself for some time. My wife jokes about it, until I start thinking of actually going to school again. I remember when I started going to graduate classes at Clemson. I thought, "Wow, I wish I could have done my B.A. here." Not that I was unhappy with the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga, I just loved being on campus and going to classes. They had a bigger and better library and the sorts of classes were more inspiring than some I had taken for my B.A. But then again, I had changed so much by then that I probably would not have majored in the same subjects as I did for my B.A. Nonetheless, whenever I am on a college campus or visiting a school I wish I could be there as a student. I wish I could learn from the men and women I see teaching young students at Christian and Classical schools I visit. I wish I could be a student in a classroom perpetually. Alas, such is not my fate.
That is a large part of why I teach at a Christian and Classical school and homeschool my own children. I feel very much the failure of modern education in my own life. I cry out with Dr. George Grant, "I've been robbed!"
For those of you who feel you've been robbed of a decent education and have the ability to correct that, I have some suggestions for you. New Saint Andrews college is in Moscow, Idaho and seems to be an offshoot of Logos school there, headed by Douglas Wilson. I've met several folks who have either gone to school there or graduated from NSA and I can attest to the high quality education they get there. It's a place I'd love to do another graduate degree. Another is Gutenberg College in Eugene, Oregon. Gutenberg, like NSA focuses on the Great Books. It is a liberal arts college and I've personally talked to the President at ACCS conferences in the past. I know what they are trying to do there and it is solid. A new recommendation is New College Franklin, otherwise known as Bannockburn Fellowship in Franklin, TN.
Bannockburn has been around for a while but now it is a degree granting, accredited institution. Dr. Geroge Grant began giving homeschool tutorials in Moral Philosophy and Humanities in 1992 and that eventually grew into Franklin Classical School. I don't know this for sure, but from what I've heard, students who wanted more of Dr. Grant's teaching after graduating from high school were allowed, or invited, to stick around for another round of non-accredited Moral Philosophy seminars and tutorials that became known as the Bannockburn Fellowship. King's Meadow Study Center used to have a reading list of the three years of Bannockburn at their website. It was pretty impressive. I wish they'd re post it or something. Nevertheless, eventually Dr. Grant decided to convert the Fellowship into an accredited institution with authority to grant a degree that would be recognized in the state of Tennessee and elsewhere. It took them a long time because the red tape in Tennessee is a mile thick and as long as the state but they were finally able to meet the requirements of the state. The name, New College Franklin was put on the back burner for the accreditation process so the college is operating its inaugural year under the older Bannockburn Fellowship title. Boy, I'd really love to go there and take the classes.
Like many others, I've realized that while my education in Tennessee and South Carolina taught me a lot of stuff, it failed at teaching me how to think about stuff. A Classical education is a little lighter on the stuff, but not much (ask my children who memorized over 500 different things this year [grades 3, 1, and pre-K]). The real goal of a classical education is to instruct in thinking. This is done through a systematic interaction with the languages of creation. Mathematics reveal God's order in creation. Science reveals God's intricate design and precision. History reveals God's providential purpose for mankind and creation as it unfolds across time and space. Literature reveals God's word to mankind, both through the written Scriptures (which alone are absolute truth) and those things men have written under common grace that reflect the truth of God's economy in things. Each of these "subjects" as we often call them are studied for the tools they give us, not necessarily for the information they give. In other words, the tools are the goal, not the information. The information is valuable, but only for the training of the tool. Subjects, taught the right way, give the tools of Grammar, Logic (Dialectic), and Rhetoric. Put another way, students learn what there is to think about in creation, how to think about those things, and then finally how to communicate what they think about those things to others.
With that in mind, I am always seeking and searching for new ways to regain some of that education I missed. I have many people to thank for what little progress I have made. Among them are Douglas Wilson and George Grant. I have listened to more lectures, speeches, and sermons of these two gentlemen than almost any other person, save my own pastor and friend, Carl Robbins. Wilson and Grant both seek to give us ways to "repair the ruins" of our own shattered and mangled education, in part by taking responsibility for our children's education. I realized a while back that my children are going to be smarter than I am. This is not because they will know more stuff (which they probably will in some sense) but because they will be able to think better. My task there is to help them, and pray the Spirit to help them, not become arrogant about this knowledge but to submit it to Christ, as we do all things.
If you are at the stage where college options are open to you and you are looking for something more than just a job that will get you lots of money, you should look into the three schools I have mentioned. There are others I have not mentioned because I know less about them, not because they are inferior institutions. Perhaps they'd like to send me some information or invite me up for a tour (hint, hint). I'd be happy to mention them here if I had more information with which to work.

No comments: