Wednesday, June 4, 2008

End of a school year reflection

The end of a school year always calls for a little reflection. I would recommend this for students as well. What have we accomplished? What did we intend to accomplish? For teachers the first question is always a little short of the second question. However, I would submit that once we reflect a little, many wonderful things, experiences, conversations, and discussions that were not intended took place. That is the joy of teaching to me. I love it when honestly spontaneous discussions of an eternal nature break out in the classroom. It makes a difference, I suppose, that I teach humanities and not math (but I imagine good conversations could be sparked there as well). The conversation is what it is all about. After all, we are trying to get these students to engage in the Great Conversation. If they are not going to engage in the Small Conversation (their own classroom) how can we expect them to engage the culture?
I would hope that next year as I make my intention plans, I would take the unforeseen conversations into account. I hope to make more time for them. I think it is where the true learning takes place.

No comments: