Friday, November 9, 2007

Humility in the Odyssey

As I was reading and talking through book seven of the Odyssey with my seventh grade humanities class, I noticed something interesting about Nausikaa. I doubt it is anything some imminent scholar has not commented on before, but I'm going to mention it anyway. For a princess she is very humble. Consider why she is at the beach to begin with. She is there to wash clothes. Yes, I know the whole scene is Athene's idea and it is arranged so that Nausikaa will find Odysseus. However, we have been sold a bill of goods that says royalty have other people to do that kind of stuff for them. If that is the case, why does it appear that Nausikaa does this often? I think it shows a concern Homer had for making sure no one believes themselves to be too good for anything. This theme is found all across the Odyssey, at least. Telemachos is not to proud to go and do some leg work to find news about his dad.
It serves as a gentle reminder that we are not too good for certain activities. If the princess of Phaiakia is not too good to go awashing, neither are we too good for taking out the trash, chopping firewood, or cleaning up our rooms. Don't sit in affluence and dream that you are above the menial cares of the world. Get up and do some chores!

No comments: